Work with us! We're Hiring a Contract Campaign Lead
Contract Campaign Lead
The NewsGuild of New York, an affiliate of the Communications Workers of America (CWA) and a dynamic, member-led union, seeks a highly experienced and motivated campaign lead to work on a strategic contract campaign.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years experience prepping and training workers to have hard one-on-one conversations to move their coworkers to escalating actions, up to and including supermajority strikes. The position will report to The NewsGuild of New York Field Director and be accountable to other staff on the campaign. You must be a self-starter with the ability to receive ongoing feedback and direction. This position requires long and varied hours, including some nights and weekends. The position is based in New York. Staff are currently working remotely due to the pandemic, but will eventually be expected to report to our office in midtown Manhattan.
- Minimum three years experience running large campaigns against tough employers
- Experience building robust Steward networks
- Ability to do deep organizing with members, including regular one-on-ones, list work, role plays, and other skills building
- Skilled in developing the organizing skills of worker leaders to plan escalating actions, training members in organizing conversations and running Contract Action Teams
- Experience facing well-run consultant campaigns
- Deep familiarity with private sector bargaining law and strategy
- Ability to relate, establish and cultivate meaningful relationships with members and to mobilize them to act
- Demonstrated success in providing direction and organizing training to member leaders
- The ability to write organizing plans
- Knowledge and experience using digital tools to organize workers across large distances
- Ongoing coaching of member organizers who are doing the work of moving their coworkers to participate in the campaign and take collective action to win their contract
- Help to plan, organize, provide guidance and help to coordinate multiple ongoing union committees, including leading, assigning, motivating and training members
- Develop an escalating contract campaign culminating in a supermajority strike
- Work with communications staff and consultants to support the messaging and communications plans for the campaign
Salary starts at $85,000, commensurate with experience. Union-represented position, covered by the Local Representatives Guild.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following four (4) separate documents:
- A cover letter that addresses how your experience and qualifications prepare you to hit the ground running
- Résumé including three references
- An example of an organizing plan, training, or campaign that you have run.
- Writing sample(s), other than organizing plan.
The NewsGuild of New York is committed to fostering an inclusive and equitable workplace. Diversity in the workplace is to be valued and true collective strength for our members can only be achieved by including everyone. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Share this story