Join our Team! We're Hiring another Media Organizer
The NewsGuild seeks an experienced, self-motivated organizer to work primarily on media organizing drives in the NYC metropolitan area. The organizer will report directly to our President and Organizing Coordinator, and will work with local staff, including our Labor Representatives and Communications Director on various internal and external organizing initiatives.
The NewsGuild of New York, CWA Local 31003 is a labor union representing nearly 3,000 news professionals in the Greater NYC area. The NewsGuild-Communication Workers of America represents over 22,000 news media workers in the US and Canada. Our members work in all areas of the media industry, including print, digital and broadcast operations.
- Identify and pursue organizing leads in digital, print and broadcast media; work closely with members and Guild Organizing Committee to identify organizing opportunities
- Identify and develop worker leaders and strong internal committees
- Identify and develop education around key organizing issues; conduct strategic industry research
- Execute campaign plans with clear goals, strategies and benchmarks; prepare workers for employers’ anti-union campaigns
- Develop and implement creative, escalating tactics internally and externally to win union organizing drives
- Work with local staff to engage current members in organizing campaigns to build support local-wide
- Build toward first contract throughout organizing drive
- 1-3 years labor organizing experience required; additional experience working in media a strong plus
- A strong commitment to building a diverse, democratic and member-led union and labor movement
- Demonstrated leadership abilities; must be an effective communicator with excellent interpersonal and writing skills
- Ability to work irregular hours, long evenings and occasional weekends
- Ability to perform administrative tasks necessary for organizing quickly and efficiently (producing organizing materials, maintaining databases, correspondence, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, multitask, be well-organized and reliable
- Ability to assess workers' support of the campaign; identify potential committee members; move workers to make concrete commitments and take action; facilitate committee meetings; etc
Salary and benefits:
Competitive salary based on experience. Fully paid health benefits, dental benefits, life insurance and 401(k). Staff union position covered by the Local Representatives Guild.
Application and instructions:
Please send resume, cover letter and 3 professional references to our Organizing Coordinator, Nastaran Mohit, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Share this story