We're Hiring a One-Year Project Organizer
One-Year Project Organizer
The NewsGuild of New York seeks an experienced NYC-based organizer to join its organizing team for a one-year project. The organizer will report to the President and the Organizing Director and will work directly with staff on external organizing campaigns within the media sector.
The NewsGuild of New York, CWA Local 31003 is a labor union representing nearly 4,000 news professionals in the Greater NYC area. The NewsGuild-Communication Workers of America represents over 24,000 news media workers in the US and Canada. Our members work in all areas of the media industry, including print, digital and broadcast operations.
- Work closely with Organizing Director, staff and members on ongoing campaigns
- Execute established campaign plans with clear goals, strategies and benchmarks
- Train, develop, and support worker leaders and strong internal committees; conduct one-on-one and group meetings with workers; lead and facilitate large group meetings and trainings
- Develop and implement internal and external campaign strategies to win union recognition, both through voluntary recognition and NLRB elections, if necessary
- Minimum 2-4 years labor organizing experience required; additional experience working in media sector a strong plus
- A strong commitment to building a diverse, democratic and member-led union and labor movement
- Demonstrated leadership abilities; must be an effective communicator with excellent interpersonal and writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and facilitate group meetings and trainings
- Ability to work irregular hours, long evenings and occasional weekends
- Ability to perform administrative tasks necessary to organize efficiently, i.e. producing effective organizing materials and campaign correspondence, maintaining up-to-date worker assessments and databases, etc
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, multitask, be well-organized and reliable
Salary and benefits:
This is a one-year, full-time position, which may become a permanent regular staff position. Salary is 75k and benefits include 401(k), sick days, paid holidays, medical and dental.
Application and instructions:
Please send resume, cover letter, two professional references and an example of an organizing plan, training, or campaign that you have run to NewsGuild Organizing Director Nastaran Mohit at email@example.com
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Share this story