The Guild is Hiring a Receptionist!
The NewsGuild of New York, the union for media professionals, is looking for an experienced Front Desk Receptionist to greet members and visitors, support staff, and manage daily administrative and clerical tasks.
As Receptionist you will often be the first point of contact for our members, who are as diverse as our city, as well as for people interested in joining our union. You should enjoy interacting with people, and bring a warm and friendly, positive attitude to your role. First impressions count!
The Receptionist’s duties include offering administrative support across the organization for both internal and external groups. You should be detail oriented and able to coordinate meetings, as well as handle event registrations and printing tasks. You will also handle such front-desk activities as distributing correspondence and redirecting phone calls or taking messages.
To be successful as a Receptionist, you should have a pleasant personality, as this is also a customer service role. You should also be able to deal with emergencies in a timely and effective manner, while streamlining office operations. Multitasking and stress management skills are essential for this position.
Ultimately, a Receptionist’s duties and responsibilities are to ensure the front desk welcomes guests positively and to execute all administrative tasks to the highest quality standards. Applicants should be ready to dive in and hit the ground running to assist in running the office professionally through communicating with a friendly demeanor and positive energy.
- Greet and welcome guests as soon as they arrive at the office
- Direct visitors to the appropriate person and office
- Answer, screen and forward incoming phone calls
- Ensure reception area is tidy and presentable, with all necessary stationery and material (e.g. pens, forms and brochures)
- Provide basic and accurate information in-person and via phone/email
- Receive, sort and distribute daily mail/deliveries
- Maintain office security by following procedures and controlling access via the reception desk (for example: entering visitor requests and maintaining event sign-in sheets).
- Order front office supplies and keep inventory of stock
- Update calendars and schedule meetings
- Arrange travel and accommodations
- Keep updated records of office expenses and costs
- Perform other clerical receptionist duties such as filing, photocopying, transcribing and email/faxing
- Proven work experience as a Receptionist, Front Office Representative or similar role
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Hands-on experience with office equipment (e.g. fax machines and printers)
- Professional attitude and appearance
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise
- Excellent organizational skills
- Multitasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks
- Customer service attitude
- High school degree; additional certification in Office Management is a plus
This is a union-covered temporary position that could lead to full-time regular employment. Competitive salary, with opportunity to earn extra income filling in for an administrative assistant out on pregnancy leave.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Grant Glickson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Share this story