Now Seeking Nominations for our 2019 Keenan Award
The NewsGuild of New York is pleased to announce nominations are open for the Keenan Service Award, named in honor of the late Tom Keenan, a stalwart Guild activist.
The Keenan Award recognizes annually the outstanding contributions of a Guild member. Nominations are open until Friday, June 7, 2019, at 12 p.m. EDT.
Keenan served as the Times Guild unit chair for seven terms—longer than anyone else—before joining the Guild’s staff in 1997 as a local representative. He became ill shortly after coming to work for the union. Keenan also served on the Local’s Committee for the second-longest period of any rank-and-file member in our over 80-year history.
In 1999, while Keenan was still alive, the Executive Committee created the Thomas M. Keenan Newspaper Guild of New York Service Award. It is presented each year to a member in good standing of the New York Local who is nominated by at least one other member in good standing. Since the award was established, there have been 25 recipients.
The winner is selected by the Guild’s Administrative Committee, comprised of the local’s president, secretary-treasurer, local chair and the Guild’s three vice presidents.
In determining a winner, the Committee seeks the nominee who “has performed above and beyond the call of duty in service to the New York Local, and best exemplifies the ideals of a true labor leader, in the spirit of Tom Keenan.”
- Any Guild member in good standing can nominate any other member in good standing for the award. Nominees may also include members who retired from a Guild job during the past year, so long as the nomination is made by a current member in good standing.
- Please provide a brief paragraph describing why you believe this individual should receive the Keenan Award.
- Nominations may be submitted online at http://www.nyguild.org/awards/keenan-award, via email to email@example.com, or by written nomination via mail.
- If submitting a nomination by email, the email must come from a verifiable email address belonging to the member making the nomination.
- If submitting a written nomination, please ensure that the nomination is signed by the member(s) making the nomination. Send to The NewsGuild of New York, attn: Josh Austin, 1500 Broadway, Suite 900, New York, NY 10036.
- No self-nominations, please.
This year’s prize will be presented our Summer Membership Meeting in June.
Share this story