Join the Guild: We're Hiring an Organizer
The NewsGuild of New York seeks an experienced NYC-based organizer to join its organizing team. The organizer will report to the Organizing Director, and will work directly with staff on various internal and external organizing initiatives in the media sector.
The NewsGuild of New York, CWA Local 31003 is a labor union representing nearly 3,000 news professionals in the Greater NYC area. The NewsGuild-Communication Workers of America represents over 24,000 news media workers in the US and Canada. Our members work in all areas of the media industry, including print, digital and broadcast operations.
- Work closely with Organizing Director, staff and members to identify and pursue organizing leads in media
- Identify, train and develop worker leaders and strong internal committees
- Conduct strategic industry research
- Execute campaign plans with clear goals, strategies and benchmarks
- Develop and implement internal and external campaign strategies to win union recognition, both through voluntary recognition and NLRB elections, if necessary
- Work directly with newly organized units to negotiate and secure strong first contracts
- 1-3 years labor organizing experience required; additional experience working in media sector a strong plus
- A strong commitment to building a diverse, democratic and member-led union and labor movement
- Demonstrated leadership abilities; must be an effective communicator with excellent interpersonal and writing skills
- Ability to work irregular hours, long evenings and occasional weekends
- Ability to perform administrative tasks necessary for organizing quickly and efficiently (producing organizing materials, maintaining confidential databases, drafting and disseminating campaign correspondence, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, multitask, be well-organized and reliable
Salary and benefits:
This is a one-year, full-time position, which may become a permanent regular staff position at the end of the one year term. Competitive salary based on experience, 401(k), sick days, paid holidays, medical and dental benefits after three months.
Application and instructions:
Please send resume, cover letter and two professional references to NewsGuild Organizing Director Nastaran Mohit at email@example.com
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Share this story