Guild member loses home, pet dog in Christmas Day fire (copy)


While attending church on Christmas Day, Guild member Robert Janiec and his family lost their home to a fire that also claimed the life of their pet dog.

Janiec, a Guild-represented weather producer at WPIX-TV, returned from church on Friday afternoon to find firefighters at his Bloomfield, N.J., home, which had been left uninhabitable. Janiec's grandmother, who did not attend church with the family, escaped unharmed, but the family dog was trapped inside and died of smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire was not immediately determined.

Friends and neighbors have started The Janiec Family Fire Fund to raise $20,000 to help temporarily relocate Janiec and his family. Guild members who wish to contribute may do so by CLICKING HERE.

Guild members in the Bloomfield area who wish to donate other items – food, water, clothing or small household items – may drop them off at 5 Rutgers Place in Bloomfield.

<iframe src="" width="450" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Go back

News Archive

Share this story