We're Hiring a New Communications Director
The NewsGuild of New York, CWA Local 31003, is a labor union representing nearly 3,000 news professionals in the Greater NYC area. The NewsGuild of New York is the largest local of TNG-CWA, representing 25,000 journalists across the country.
The NewsGuild seeks a Communications Director with journalism or public relations experience, as well as demonstrated experience within the labor movement. The job of the Communications Director will involve both external and internal communications. Candidates should be skilled campaigners and capable of utilizing a range of communications tools to advance Guild campaigns.
- Work closely with the President, Local Representatives and Organizers to develop and implement campaign strategies and communications plans;
- Use multiple communications platforms and develop targeted communications for use in mobilizing, organizing and contract campaigns;
- Work closely with members to develop communications responsive to developments in the news business and journalism community;
- Initiate contact with and respond to inquiries from print, radio, and television journalists;
- Write press advisories and press releases;
- Build relationships with labor, political and other key reporters and editors both locally and nationally;
- Create original content for a wide variety of communications platforms including, but not limited to, email, web, video, brochure and newsletter formats;
- Draft and distribute member communications, including shop papers and monthly union newsletters;
- Work directly with members to encourage engagement with the press and the public. Help conduct Speakers Bureau trainings to develop member engagement with the press and public;
- Willingness to work long, irregular hours;
- Three to five years of experience in communications in labor, politics or advocacy organizations;
- Experience in strategic communications planning;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to create strong press releases, message documents and member communications materials;
- Ability to initiate projects, work independently, handle multiple priority projects and meet deadlines;
Job Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in a communications, journalism or labor-related field is preferred. At least three to five years of experience in a communications, labor and/or organizing communications position.
The Communications Specialist will join our professional staff at our Times Square office. Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Staff union positon.
Please send cover letter and resume to the NewsGuild President at Glickson@nyguild.org with subject line “Communications Director.”
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.